A little less than three weeks ago, the Miami HEAT were on the fast track to a top-three pick in the NBA lottery. They were 11-30, injury-riddled, and visibly fluttering as the season seemed to be quickly slipping away. Now, the Heat are riding a nine-game winning streak and are within striking distance of the eighth seed in the East.
The ultimate #OfCourse is happening; Miami has inexplicably won five straight games and for whatever reason, Dion Waiters has been leading the charge. He’s been absolute flames on offense and a menace defensively. What is the secret behind this great stretch?
Anthony Chiang of the Palm Beach Post joined Giancarlo Navas, Nekias Duncan, and Brian Goins in discussions that involve:
• The latest in the Goran Dragic trade rumor mill
• We have a major announcement
• Why #TankSZN has ruined the fan experience of winning meaningless games
• Why is Justise Winslow using Chris Bosh’s locker for extra storage?
• We steal Anthony’s mailbag and have him answer it for us #MHBMailbag
• Alf joins midway—on his way to Publix—to save the show
In this edition of The Heat Beat Podcast, we welcomed Cat Fuentes (560 WQAM) to join Giancarlo Navas (for a few minutes), Alf, Brian Goins and Alex Toledo in discussions that involve:
• Miami HEAT trade possibilities for Hassan Whiteside and Goran Dragic
• We diminish Gianni’s garbage Tyler Johnson hot takes
• Are HEAT fans rooting for #TankSZN?
• LeBron trading his boys for Kyle Korver
• We bring back our #MHBMailbag segment
• We name some players to watch in this year’s NBA Draft
To argue against Shaq’s jersey retirement tonight is to against the culture of banners this franchise strives for—a culture Shaq helped shape while bombastically and polarizing. Despite the baggage he brought, Shaq remains beloved and his arrival to Miami came at the perfect time, setting a foundation of fandom for a new generation of fans.
We are a few months into the season. Our expert staff at Miami Heat Beat is here to tell you how to think! We’re borrowing on ESPN’s 5-on-5 idea where we take five of our staff writers and ask them all the same questions to hear their differentiating opinions on what’s going on with the HEAT.
LeBron left his hometown team in the summer of 2010 in pursuit of championships by any means necessary. He formed a super team in Miami with one of the few people who might have been his equal and another perennial All-Star. This was when LeBron lit the match of his Great Fire. Since then the league has been chasing him.
The (almost) 100 million dollar man, Hassan Whiteside, has been given the spotlight this year and he has taken a full advantage of it. Whiteside was left off the All-Star roster last year, but this should be his year to make his claim as one the NBA elites
We welcomed Amber Wilson of The Ticket Morning Show (790 The Ticket) to join Giancarlo, Brian, and Alf (first-time hosting) in discussions that involve:
• Why can’t Miami HEAT fans have fun with this season?
• Trade Rumor Mill: Is it worth trading Goran Dragic, a draft pick, and a young piece for John Wall?
• We talk about Kanye West’s recent antics
• Gianni polls Amber on the hurdles and inclusion of women in sports media
• We end with who the most handsome in the NBA player is?
With a horrific start for the HEAT, it seemed like comparisons to that 2007-08 team were inevitable. The HEAT were the verge of having a seven-game losing streak, longest since the 2007-08 season and Miami was down as many as 14 in the first quarter. Things looked bleak.
The first HEAT game I ever remember attending in person was on February 26th, 1991. I was nine years old, which now serves as a harsh reminder of how old (and #washed) I am today. The trip to the Miami Arena was a late birthday present from my uncle and I was as excited to attend as I had been to do anything up to that point in my life. Decked out in my Champion Brand size 36 Glen Rice HEAT jersey, I enjoyed my first Miami HEAT experience.
In this edition of The Heat Beat Podcast Giancarlo Navas is joined by Harrison Cytryn and Leif to discuss:
• Goran Dragic’s future with the Heat
• Hassan Whiteside’s tremendous week
• We steal mailbag questions from Anthony Chiang
• Gianni defends Dion Waiters
… and so much more